Health officials examine case of deadly Legionnaires’ Disease at one of London’s most acclaimed apartment blocks

Health officials are currently investigating a case of deadly Legionnaires’ Disease at one of London’s most notorious apartment blocks.

A resident of Dolphin Square has contracted the disease, according to Public Health England which said it was working with the management company to inform residents.

 

"We were only told about it today. There is only one person affected in a flat - It is not a disease that is easily spread around apparently so I am not too concerned - It’s something where bacteria is always there but sometimes this sort of thing happens." - A resident aged in her 60s, who asked not to be named.

A student, 27, who lives in one of flats, said: “I’m quite freaked out about it. I have never experienced anything this before. “I called the management after getting an email and they said it was fine all fine, I hope it is not a major issue and it is just one case but let’s hope we all don’t catch it. “I’m going down to the shops now to get Evian water until I know it has been sorted out.''

It is understood that traces of the bacteria may have been found in one shower within the apartment blocks and that the water system is being tested on a daily basis.

Public Health England issued a statement saying: “PHE has been notified of a case of legionnaires’ disease at a domestic residence in central London. The person is responding to treatment, and PHE is working closely with the local authority and management company to inform and advise residents.

“Legionnaires’ disease is an illness caught by breathing in droplets of water containing bacteria which cause infection. Symptoms include fever, a persistent cough, breathing difficulties and chest pain. In severe cases it can cause pneumonia.”

Dolphin Square Limited confirmed that a resident had “recently been diagnosed with a respiratory illness caused by legionella bacteria.”

(https://www.dolphinsquare.co.uk/dolphin-square/properties/406-beatty-house-dolphin-square-london-sw1v-3pl/)

In a statement it said : “We are in contact with the affected resident and are providing ongoing support. As a precaution we have informed all of our residents and reissued guidance on the prevention measures that should be taken.

“We work closely with Feedwater, a leading water treatment specialist who oversee the monitoring and testing regime of our domestic water system and we are currently taking further advice and direction from Public Health England and the Local Authority.

“The health and welfare of everyone at Dolphin Square is central to all we do, which is why we invest heavily in ensuring that the water supply is safe and secure. Water at the Square is treated in accordance with all applicable national regulations and guidelines.

 

The jury heard she contracted Legionella pneumonia which contributed to the stroke.

Legionnaires’ is a potentially fatal lung infection caused by legionella bacteria. It is not contagious and cannot be spread directly from person-to-person It is caught by breathing in small droplets of contaminated water.

Officials state that the resident who contracted the disease is “responding well” to treatment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *